Re: In Response to my Previous Email

Does GNOME Software only have free software by default, and what software respiratory does GNOME Software use by default?

-Cole Rogers

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: In Response to my Previous Email
Local Time: July 6, 2017 4:35 AM
UTC Time: July 6, 2017 8:35 AM
From: hughsient gmail com
To: ColeRogers <ColeRogers protonmail com>
gnome-software-list gnome org <gnome-software-list gnome org>

On 5 July 2017 at 16:31, ColeRogers via gnome-software-list
<gnome-software-list gnome org> wrote:
> instead of hunting down other applications.

So far I"ve sent over 3k emails to various free software projects --
if an application has ignored my request to add a trivial XML file
there"s not much really we can do. If an application is missing that
you love, you need to email the maintainers of that software and
politely ask they start shipping an AppData file. Without it it"s just
not going to show up in the various new software centers.

> I was in the belief that you have the ability to add
> all the applications that are on the Ubuntu Software Center, which is highly
> distro-specific, but certainly has many applications that are can be run on
> many distros, and are not in GNOME Software Center.

Ubuntu Software Center and GNOME Software share basically no history.
Ubuntu Software used a different source of data to GNOME Software, and
worked in a different way, so it"s not a huge surprise the range of
application they show differs.

> particularly now that Canonical (sorta) killed Ubuntu Software
> Center.

As I understand it, no "sorta" at all, it"s dead.

> slight change, maybe to white?

I think talking to the designers in #gnome-design on IRC (with a
GIMPed screenshot perhaps) is a really good idea. They are helpful and
can explain some of the reasons certain things have been chosen, but
in te event they do like the change it"s just a one line change in the
CSS file.

Richard.