Re: GSOC idea

Hello Анастасия!

That's an interesting project and it's so good that you had the
initiative to come up with your idea! I've worked on the past on
gnome-shell as GSoC student and now I'm part of the GSoC admin team,
so I'll try to give my input.

The idea sounds very good and your previous work you already did in
this area is amazing, so I'm sure someone would be glad to mentor this
project. The current maintainer of gnome-shell is Florian Mullner, but
I'm not sure if he has time for this GSoC round to mentor. I'll let
him chime in the conversation for that. If that's not possible, would
be possible to you any other time or internship like Outreachy in a
few months (if you are eligible)?

Regarding the idea itself, I can see there can be two phases. One is
to improve the current keyboard to what is missing from the designs on
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/ScreenKeyboard. The bigger tasks I
can find are:
- Emojis
- Popover for choosing the language
- Some way to open up the keyboard from gnome-shell (needs design input)
Those could take maybe the first phase of the GSoC (1/1'5 months) for
example. But then there are some smaller tasks, for example:
- Changing the color of some of the buttons to blue
- Ability to have permanent caps
And these two are pretty good for you to get started into the
contribution of this module, and in this way you will have more
contributions and a stronger proposal to be accepted (we require at
least one non-trivial patch, but definitely more will increase
enormously your chances for the mentor to accept you) :)
Then as second phase of GSoC, when you are already kind of an expert
on that area of the code, you could implement your proposal of
predictive input, which is something everyone of us will feel in love
with :)

What do you think?

Carlos Soriano

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Анастасия Маркина