Re: gnome-soc-list Digest, Vol 71, Issue 3

Hey Shivam,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 08:38:11PM +0530, Shivam Mishra wrote:
Hi Christophe,

I did go through the ideas page before but didn't know about students
page. But now I have read both of them and really wish to apply for
GSoC 2015 under Gnome. Please guide me on how to start.

I have tried fixing a bug in Nautilus as I was interested in doing a
project on Nautilus, I also talked to Carlos Soriano regarding that
but he is no more taking applicants. Other than that, I have thought
of 2 ideas on my own:
1. Improving User Interface of Empathy, with everything getting a
newer and better look in gnome, empathy seems like the left one. I am
thinking of completely new UI designs like a tree with messages on its
big leaves or a curtain which drops down to show messages and then
goes up.

Integrating better Empathy with GNOME3/making use of new gtk+3 widget
might be a good thing, but that is something to check with the Empathy
developers, I don't know what are their plans/needs there.
Regarding bigger design changes, there are some mockups in
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/login/Design/Apps/Chat but they probably
are only a work-in-progress for now.

2. Adding variety to gnome lock screen. Currently gnome lock screen is
like a curtain which goes up and then the user can type his/her
password and enter. This could be improved by adding more
possibilities like a wall of bricks or blades which can move apart and
let user type the password, furthermore these bricks or blades could
be used for notifications or widgets.

gnome-shell people would be able to guide you with this one, however I
don't think a themable lock screen is something that the design team
will vet (?).

Christophe