Re: Possibility of android app as a gnome project?

It's all relative actually. Gnome is not Android, nor does it run on Android, but Gnome applications might. GnuCash was such a case, a GSoC project was accepted to port it to the Android platform. You can read more here: http://www.codinguser.com/2012/05/gnucash-mobile/

Not saying any Gnome application makes sense porting to Android (as much as I would like a Rhythmbox Android app, there are enough music players already there). And, GNUcash had a specific use case for porting to Android, which is to share and edit your finances on the go (it doesn't necessarily replace the desktop app).

If you find a case of a Gnome app that makes sense to have a companion Android app or even a complete port to Android, you should definitely submit a GSoC application.

Regards,
Alexandre

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 04:18:32AM +0530, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:
> I wanted to know if the idea *of a new android
> application*(utility based) is something that can be incorporated into
> gnome as a GSoC project?

Android != GNOME

For a GNOME GSoC, it is better to contribute to an existing GNOME
software, using the GNOME platform (GLib, GObject, GTK+, etc.).

The project should at least run on gnome-shell (if it's an application),
in my opinion.

Best regards,
Sébastien