GSoC 2013 Idea: Gnome Assistant

Hi, my name is Edwin Abraham and I am an final year engg. student at BITS-Pilani University, India. I have an Idea to introduce a virtual assistant for the users to interact with for various activities. My idea is actually an extension of the GnomeVoiceControl (developed in GSoC 2007).

The Gnome Virtual Assistant can have the following features:
   1. Give Voice Commands to the assistant to control the desktop (using existing GnomeVoiceControl)
    2. Voice Mail translator to take messages and appointments from VoiceMails left to the user's phone.
    3. Setup an interactive UI for the assistant to interact with Friends of users using Facial Recognition and Voice Pass-Key to give access to user's computer but access restrictions is set by the user and the assistant can govern the access while user is away

This will require a good gui with minimalistic AI and NLP support to integrate all the features.
Before diving into the AI the extended support of GnomeVoiceControl can established and then exteneded to the first two features. Once the a GUI for the Gnome Assistant comes to being, we can set up the friend login. The friend login will mix of facial recognition and Voice recognition and governed by the Gnome Virtual Assistant. The activity or access limitation  can be monitored and reported to the User who is not present by mail, im, or some sort of communication.

This project will sound a bit too big but it will focus on 2 things extending GnomeVoiceControl and the Friend Login.

Thank you for considering my propopsal
--
Edwin Abraham,
BITS Pilani Goa Campus