Re: Idea for GSoC 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM, M.S. Suraj <mssurajkaiga gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

 I'm Suraj, an engg. undergrad from India. I have an idea for developing an
interactive application (particularly aimed at school and college students)
that implements mathematical problem solving and graphing. I wish for the
following features:

1. Simultaneous euation solving
2. Solving optimization problems
3. Matrix operations
4. Solving calculus based problems
5. Graphing for above functions
6. Integration with word processors for report generation

The primary feature would be to provide a good responsive GUI, with features
like providing a system for user to input equations either using a graphical
keyboard utility or asking them to enter notations which are displayed the
way we write them usually, for ex. while inputing 'x^2 + y^2', the terms
would automatically displayed in the input bar the way we write on paper( it
can't be shown here).

There already exists libraries like SymPy that can be used to implement the
necessary back-end for calculations.

Do you think you can integrate your work in an existing GNOME module?
This field is a bit unknown to me, but maybe GNUmeric,
gnome-calculator, or something else would be a good fit? Even if it
can not be directly integrated in these modules, getting in touch with
the maintainers of a module that is related to your goal would be your
best bet to get your project accepted, as they would be the ones able
to mentor. Good luck.

--
Alexandre Franke