GSoC Update: Week 2: GDOM

Good day.

Here is my second status report for GDOM in the Google Summer of Code.

Completed this week
  • read in greater detail about the DOM Level 1 Core[0], which answered a lot of questions for the prototyping work I did last week
  • filled out some tests, and read up a bit on how to use the GLib testing framework[1]
  • investigated Valadoc[2], realised that documenting too formally too early might result in a lot of rewriting :D
  • spoke with lethalman in #vala,
    • got pointed to dominar[3] (similar to gdom except it uses an sqlite backend instead of libxml2, meaning it has to reimplement more)
    • considered whether full exception handling is desirable, decided to be pragmatic about it and wait to see more
  • reconsidered my approach to implementing Node in relation to its conceptual subclasses (like Attr), reducing the amount of code necessary (:D)
0. http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-1/level-one-core.html
1. http://developer.gnome.org/glib/unstable/glib-Testing.html
2. http://www.valadoc.org/
3. https://gitorious.org/dominar

Issues
  • lost time fiddling with a Makefile and valac.  Should investigate Automake soon and ask for help.
  • start of the week was lost to extra school work, will make up for that this weekend
Next Week
  • commit work to gitorious.  (It doesn't compile right now, and I'll patch it up in the morning)
  • finish Document, implement Element and Attr
  • talk to my mentor and ask see whether it's worth borrowing anything from dominar or libgdom3, yet another similar project, neither of which were active for long
Cheerio,
  Richard