Adding Positional Tags to Shotwell: Weekly Report 10

Hello!!

[NOTE: You can see a Spanish version of this mail in my personal blog, http://sanva.net/blog/103/ ]

Last week I've continued correcting bugs and improving the quality of the code to finally get it commited to the Shotwell's master branch :)

Now you can compile the latest development version of Shotwell to see the tool working!

To compile it [instructions to Ubuntu and Linux Mint, should be similar in other distributions]:
  1. Install Git: $ sudo apt-get install git
  2. Install Shotwell dependencies: $ sudo apt-get install libgconf2-dev libgee-dev libgexiv2-dev libglib2.0-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libexif-dev libgphoto2-2-dev libraw-dev libsoup2.4-dev libxml2-dev libsqlite3-dev m4 libunique-dev libwebkit-dev libjson-glib-dev
  3. Install Vala Compiler:
    1. $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vala-team/ppa
    2. $ sudo apt-get update
    3. $ sudo apt-get install valac
  4. Clone Shotwell repository: $ git clone git://yorba.org/shotwell ./shotwell
  5. Go to that folder: $ cd ./shotwell
  6. Configure: $ ./configure
  7. Make: $ make
  8. And now you can run it:
    1. To use a new database: $ ./shotwell -d ./.shotwell+truk
    2. Or to use your installed Shotwell's database --not recommended if you doesn't want to install the Git non-stable version: $ ./shotwell
  9. And install it in your system --optional, not recommended since its not a stable release: $ make install
This week I think that I'm going to integrate the tool better in Shotwell (searches, metadata write-out, etc) and to continue correcting bugs that could arise --like this one: http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/3896

Cheers!!