Re: Project idea : presentation tool for the GNOME desktop

Given the nature of the problem, you'd probably need to mention that you
would carry on maintaining the project after your first bout with the
code.

I would be glad to maintain it !

I don't want to demotivate, but founding a completely new project is way
more complicated than joining or reviving an existing project,

I was aware of Agnubis and Criawpis, and found that those were dead projects too. I think it's becoming easier to program such tools, with the help of Clutter and Python/Vala.

I know of at least two people who've started similar projects, though I have no idea how far they've gotten:

Thanks for the links, I had never heard of them before (they didn't exist 6 months ago, that might be why). I haven't checked and built their projects yet, but I think they both have a good start. To quote the homepage of the first one (Ease) :

this semester I will be developing a new desktop presentation application for GNOME, entitled "Ease". Currently, the de facto choice in this area is OpenOffice.org Impress, which is poorly integrated into the desktop and is, in my opinion, a very clumsy and badly designed application in general. Compared to Apple's Keynote or even PowerPoint, Impress is a decidedly weak option.

which is exactly what I think. What should I do then ? I don't want to duplicate their effort even though I'd be glad to work on such projects, and I don't think I can join them as a GSoC task, can I ?

Thanks for the answers,

Stéphane.