Re: [Usability] [Owncloud] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=93?= GNOME + KDE collaboration?
- From: Máirín Duffy <duffy gnome org>
- To: Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>
- Cc: Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek kde org>, Mario Đanić <mario danic gmail com>, gnome-soc-list gnome org, usability gnome org, owncloud kde org
- Subject: Re: [Usability] [Owncloud] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?
- Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:42:12 -0400
On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 09:30 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> We don't really know yet. We are going to host Tomboy Online. That
> should give us more of an idea of hosting costs. I'd expect something
> like a Dropbox to have much higher costs but hopefully we can predict
> them from Tomboy.
> Then we'll have to explore different ways of getting enough revenue to
> cover costs.
This kind of concern is why some of us at the hackfest had suggested the
idea that this system could work with any existing shell account over
SSH. For example, if I use GNOME, but I'm not a GNOME contributor - I
might have a shell account with a hosting company like dreamhost.com or
something like that. If the local storage is git (which is possible, we
control the client side with the software), if you scp or rsync the .git
directories you've got 'version control' without needing to install git
on the remote server.
] [Thread Prev