Re: Introduction for GSoC

On 19.03.2010, at 17:56, Johannes Schmid wrote:

Hi!

Here are my ideas for GSoC (I have already posted them for Ubuntu
maillist, but I think it is actual for Gnome too):

Well, it's more or less only GNOME ;)

1) Column view for Nautilus. I have seen a suggestion of this
functionality somewhere on Ubuntu Brainstorm. This is a very useful
function for a file manager, in my opinion. I have been using Mac OS X
for a while and have found that Column View in Finder is very-very
easy-to-use. I think it will be big advantage for Gnome, because many
users of Mac OS X will feel right at home if they see their favorite
file manager view.

I don't know the Column View in Finder but anyway, if you want to do
this as a GSoc project, please contact the nautilus people (e.g. their
mailing list). They have various plans for 3.0 and you should make sure
this fits in.

Thank you. I have done this.

2) GTK Theme Creator with Live View. Current theme creation methods
seem Ice-Age-Like. What will need is a fully functional modern
graphical theme editor, that will backup system config files and will
have a Live View option.  It should also have a very easy-to-use
interface, so that any designer could start using it in a blink of an
eye.

Well, there is some work done in form of supporting CSS styles in Gtk+.
There is even a mostly working implementation. Again, try to get in
touch with the arts team and the gtk+ people.

Regards,
Johannes

Message by Anton "Garfeild" Kolchunov

E-mail:  garfeild.ubuntu (at) gmail.com
kolchunovad (at) gmail.com
garfeild (at) member.fsf.org

Using propreatary software: Mac OS X 10.5.x, Mail.