GSoC: Gnome Video Converter

Hello,

My name is Chihau Chau and I am a student of Computer Sciences in UCV
(Catholic University of Valparaíso, in Chile). I have been using Linux
and Gnome for 9 years now, and have participated in the Chilean
community of Gnome users. Currently, I am a member of the Gnome
Spanish Translation Team (now translating the goffice module) but I
want to take further steps in the field, like becoming a developer of
the Gnome project in the GSoC 2009 and continue contributing in the
future.

My Idea is to develop a video converter for Gnome with features such as:

-Simple, Fast and Intuitive.
-Converting videos between different formats, bitrates and sizes.
-Ripping DVDs to videos.
-Downloading and converting videos from the web (youtube, google video, etc.).
-Converting videos for use on portable devices like the iPod, Zune,
PSP, and mobile phones.
-Supporting many formats such as MPEG, AVI, MP4, FLV, SWF, 3GP, etc.

My plan is to use GTK and C or Python, and possibly ffmpeg.

Any comments or advice on your part is welcomed, as I would like to
have your feedback
on the idea.

Thanks!

--