Re: Apply for idea: Gnome-games + Telepathy in GSoC

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:57, Sha Liu <sandyleo26 gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Jason ,Thomas and everyone,
>
> I’m a graduate student and I’m very interested in the idea of converting
> Gnome Game to be playable with one’s contacts. I’m myself a online game
> lover, however I never did it under Linux. It’s really a pity for all
> Linuxers, either for programmers or normal users. And making games more
> sociable is really a big improvement in the fun of using Linux and thus
> people will more ‘stick’ to Linux.
>
> Some of the games are already really playable in single mode and getting
> more people into it will make the game more competitive and
> entertainable(like nibbles or gnometris). However, I’m a little confused
> about what the project want to achieve.
>
> Is it a small plug-in on the IM client side(empathy etc.) which allow you to
> invite your friend on the list to play *some* game or
>
> it is on the game side that which add a ‘browse’ button on the ‘network
> game’ dialog box that you can choose the contact to play *only* this game
> with?

Either way is possible. The current solution is a lot more complicated
than needed and easier ways of setting up networked play with friends
is very welcome.

There is another applicant who wants to focus on doing it with python
for sudoku. Perhaps you could be interested in doing it for the C
based games?

- thomas