Re: How will you juge the joint patch for our gnome soc application?

Hi!

Am Sonntag, den 15.03.2009, 21:14 +0100 schrieb
saunierthibault gmail com:
> Hello,
>
>     I wanted to know what is your exact aim about the joined bug for the
> application to gnome soc --see how well we can write code or see if we
> are able to understand the way a program works and correct a bug?-- I am
> asking this question because I corrected a bug, but the code I had to
> write for that was actually so so short (we had to use memrchr() instead
> of memchr() ). It actually made me understand a lot of thing about the
> way GVFS (and Gobject) works since I had to test a lot of things, but I
> don't know if you can/will notice that.

Basically three points we probably want to see (among others):

- You are a good member of the community. That means, you are
responsive, you know how to handle mailing lists and bugzilla and how
communications between developers normally works.

- You can use a version control system, create clean patches and file
them correctly.

- You can write clean code. That does not mean that you have to write
much code, it can also mean that you understand existing code and know
how to fix it. It's also means following coding style of existing code.

In short, we want to see that you can get work done. We don't expect
that you write the world-greatest patch inventing the coolest feature
ever but you should get the basics right.

That might not sound very difficult but we had major problems last year
with students who failed with this simple tasks.

Note also, that this is my personal opinion and some summary from the
mailing list discussion on the mentors list.

Regards,
Johannes