Re: My google summer of code project. Nautilus: Add support to Google docs

Natan Yellin wrote:
Hello Thibault,

            Hello Thibault,

            On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM, saunierthibault gmail com
            <mailto:saunierthibault gmail com>
            <saunierthibault gmail com
            <mailto:saunierthibault gmail com>> wrote:

                Alexander Larsson wrote:

                    On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 20:09 +0100,
                    saunierthibault gmail com
                    <mailto:saunierthibault gmail com> wrote:
                        Hello,

                           I am Thibault Saunier, a computer science
                        student in an
                        engineering school (EPSI Lyon).  I am very
                        interested by participating
                        in the gnome soc 2009. So I have an idea for
                        my project which I am
                        describing in the document I will send for my
                        application. But as you
                        say on gnome website it is better to ask your
                        opinion about the
                        project first. So here is my idea:

                        Nautilus: Add support to Google docs

            Neat. :)

            I suggest that you give the GNOME Online Desktop[1] a
            quick look. There's some code to handle google documents
            that you might find useful.

I downloaded it and will look at this code, thank you for the advise. I think my project is linked with this project even if my approach is different from what they are doing.

                             * Benefits: Let users handle (copy,
                        paste...) their Google Docs
                               with nautilus. They would also be able
                        to edit them with any
                               word/spreadsheet/presentation processor.
                             * Requirements: Since I am going to use
                        GVFS, I will use the C
                               programming language (I have been
                        learning this language for 3
                               years now and can manage with this). I
                        will also use the Gdata
                               API which permit to manage google docs
                        files on client
                               applications.
                        support in GVFS. Write code
                               in nautilus to add the possibility to
                        connect to google docs
                               thanks to the 'fiile -> connect to
                        server' dialogBox.
                                           I rode on the Google Advice
                        for student web-page that it is better
                        to send my application document to some people
                        before applying, so if
                        anyone of you is interesting by reading it, I
                        would be glade to send
                        it to you!

                    Sounds like a useful project.
                    What kind of protocol does google docs use for
                    client file access?

                The Google-doc API (gdata) is based on HTTP requests.
                For example to get the list of documents, you need to
                send a GET request to
                http://docs.google.com/feeds/documents/private/full
                and it returns an XML file describing all
                folders/documents the logged user has on-line...

            -Natan

            P.S. I've CCed Owen Taylor, the lead developer of the
            Online Desktop in case he has any advice on the topic.

            [1] http://live.gnome.org/OnlineDesktop...
            Nautilus: Add support to Google docs

Neat. :)

I suggest that you give the GNOME Online Desktop[1] a quick look. There's some code to handle google documents that you might find useful

I wonder how it works about mentors, I looked for it on the Internet, but I don't understand how I can find a mentor if nobody proposes to be mine.

Thank you

Thibault Saunier