Re: [weekly report] week 1: conduit

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:05, Tobias Mueller <muelli auftrags-killer org> wrote:
Hey Alexandre,

thanks for your report! I'd appreciate if you could write what you are actually trying to achieve. though ;-)

Sure, I'm making Conduit work as a dameon / service. So my first job is to make sure it starts as fast as possible and use as little resources as possible.

Alexandre wrote:
The problem of loading all modules at startup I solved by creating a module cache. This cache is first created when all modules are loaded and it includes the modification time of each file, so we can reload the cache when something changes. This cache is kept in the user's config directory.
Like $XDG_CONFIG_HOME defined by http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html?
I feel this is wrong, because a cache is not configuration data at all. I feel that $XDG_CACHE_HOME is a better place to use for a cache.

Thanks a lot for that suggestions, I'll definitely use that.

So far I could not think a situation where this cache would cause problems, but I'm still cautious about it.
Well, a cache could be deleted or corrupted. Be sure to handle those cases gracefully :)

Yes, on the Conduit mailing list someone mentioned NFS mounted home dirs, which I didnt thought about. But so far I took a very cautioned approach to the cache, so it's probably safe, because it recreates the cache at any sign of problem.

> [...]

Of course, this is all very experimental. I'll push this work into a branch as soon as possible.

Please do :) We love to see code and we love to help if you have problems writing it.

Sure, I'll publish the branch location as soon as possible.

(: Happy Hacking,
 Muelli

Thank you,
Alexandre