[weekly report] week 8: Music sharing in Banshee using Telepathy [banshee-soc]

Things done the past week:

* installed a virtual image of Ubuntu 9.04 running telepathy-gabble
0.7.28 and Empathy 2.26.1 for testing purposes. My dev machines are
running gabble 0.7.30 and Empathy 2.27.3
* improvements made to the GUI responsiveness while downloading
* visual indication of download status per file
* auto-import of each download into the music library.
* a lot of testing & fixed some bugs

Needs to be done:

* Add toggle option for file sharing. Users may want to share
metadata, but not actual files.
* Testing
* Bug fixing
* Some documentation
* MC5 migration still up in the air ie. when will Empathy start using it?

The extension seems to be in a very usable state right now (at least
from my point of view), so please feel free to test it out [0] and
give me your feedback [1] [2] [3] The README needs some updating, but
it explains most things. Be sure to backup your banshee database just
in case. [4]

Another caution: files downloaded overwrite if another file with the
same name and location exists. I may do something different with this.
The save location for downloads follows your Banshee settings for file
system organization. In most cases, this is [Music
Library]/[Artist]/[Album]/[Song]

For those that didn't see my midweek screencast, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mGKXN_znk

And, as requested, here is the git shortlog (I commit & push to github
often). I really haven't been concerning myself with making pretty
commit messages, etc. since things are extremely dynamic, at the
moment. Anyway, here it is:

neil lappy:~/src/banshee$ git log --since=07/10/09 | git shortlog
Neil Loknath (43):
      Bug fix
      Testing limiting concurrent downloads to 2
      Fix dispatchmanager disposal
      Comment out use of StatusIndicator column
      Bug fixes, tweaks, etc.
      Bug fix
      Catch exception during send/receive
      Try avoiding Provider.Refresh
      Fix try/catch
      Close transfer if exception
      Bug fixes
      Set RemotePath
      New TransferClosed event and new BytesReceived event logic
      Tweaking
      Use ExternalID as key instead of Filename
      Some tweaks
      Bug fix
      Enable downloads from playlists
      Bug fixes
      Account for transfer sender quiting Banshee
      Ensure contact supports service before requesting channel
      Add TransferInitialized event
      Use EventHandler <TEventArgs> generic
      Fix bug
      Fix disposal
      Fixes
      Catch exception and close tube if unsupported
      Fix bug in OnNewChannels
      Auto add to music library
      Re-org some code
      Bug fix
      Fix lock
      Debug info added &  other cleanup
      Do not explicitly close dispatchable objects
      Add IsClosed property
      Close socket
      Put socket close in OnTransferClosed
      Clean up transfers
      Remove from dispatchmanager within dispatchable objects
      Clean up
      Ignore KeyNotFoundException when removing dispatchables
      Fix announcer bug
      Wrap some API calls in try/catch, clean up

[0] git clone git://github.com/nloko/banshee.git && git pull origin gsoc
[1] http://nlokos.blogspot.com
[2] http://twitter.com/nloko
[3] nloko in IRC
[4] cp ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db.bkup