Project Idea: DVB Manager

Hi,

I'm a German student with an interesting project IMHO.

My idea is a DVB daemon communicating via DBUS with different clients.
The daemon is supposed to detect cards, handle scanning, recording and
EPG and give an option to zap the interface. The client applications
know just need to communicate with the daemon instead of the real
devices. In addition I want to program a GNOME client for it, which
idles in the systray to give feedback about status. Apart from that it
is supposed to have scanning, recording and EPG features.

So why do I thing we need such a daemon?

For one thing you can't forget to start your recording application, so
that you will miss less records. You should be aware of the fact, that a
player blocks the DVB device. So if you are watching a movie with your
player the record program would fail. I plan to inform the user about
the recording, so that he/she (or the daemon?) can kill the player. For
another thing there is no real DVB support in GNOME IMHO. Most DVB users
use Kaffeine at the moment. The daemon can put away some work of the
Totem guys. For example they can use the channel and EPG information it
provides.

So know my questions

1. What do you think of the project?
2. Is there anybody, who would like to mentor me?

Sincerely,

Sebastian Reichel