F-Spot sidebar improvements: Week 4 Report

Hi all!

 [ For information about my GSoC project, fast-forward to the bottom ]

Had my last two exams today (project presentations) so my summer of code
can finally get a real start. I did however get some hacking do this
week.

After the architectural investigations last week, I hacked on the other
side of things this week: UI mockups. I now have a simple UI mockup that
looks & feels nice, next week will mostly be work hooking that up.
Screencast here: http://yokohama.savanne.be/editors-mock.ogg

Also worked on one of the recurring user complaints: You cannot order
F-Spot to delete photos from the camera after importing. While most of
the developers (including me) are quite religious about how this is a
bad idea, most user prefer dangerous convenience. This patch will be
integrated after the import process is refactored (which my mentor has
on it's todo list), as it's not wise to introduce extension points that
might be deprecated shortly after.

Totally unrelated: The awesome Git from the Bottom Up [1] was my
discovery of the week and really boosted my VCS productivity. Highly
recommended if you want a different look at git (it made my finally
grasp git entirely). Check it out!

No hacking tonight, time to celebrate the end of the exams!
  Ruben

[1]: http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/git.from.bottom.up.php

About the project:

I will be working on F-Spot and concentrate on the sidebar, editing
tools and other usability work.

http://weblog.savanne.be/tags/summerofcode
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/gnome/appinfo.html?csaid=1EF7F7EDFE7E57BE

--