fourth report: cheese integration

hi there...

I don't have much to say for my fourth report... I've managed to access cheese via dbus and return a simple string (so at the moment cheese has the function of an echo server - yeah). The rest of the week I spend with thinking and talking with my mentor. This brought me (us) to a problem I don't know how to solve (well I have some ideas, but I don't like them!).

The problem is: When cheese gets called via dbus, it enters a specific method (remote method). In this method cheese should wait until the user has taken a picture, then return the path via dbus. But what about the waiting? Well the client blocks, but this is not a problem in my opinion. The thing is, how to make the "waiting" of the cheese-method? Active waiting (while (return_path == null) wait(1); ) sounds really ugly! But what else? Make a new thread? Work with signals? Change the whole work flow?

Can somebody help me with that? I'm sure one of you has had similar problems and has solved them in a nice way :)

Until this problem is out of the way, I'll work on the gui. The plan is to make a slim version of cheese (without thumbnails and video) for the dbus-call, so when cheese gets called via dbus the user has only the possibility to set some effects, take a picture and decide if he wants to use the picture or take a new one (preview where the webcam image is and a simple yes-no dialog). This is my main task for this week. But I need opinions also here, what do you think is the best way to make the slim version? With a parameter like "-s" for slim or a variable which is set by the dbus-remote-method?

Thanks in advance...
felix

keep on hacking!