Re: Status report for Bluetooth stuff

Hi Bastien,

> > I'm currently very busy with exams in university. However D-Bus API is
> > done and I have infrastructure code in place already.
> >
> > I chose to do obex-data-server purely in GObject. I will use dbus-glib
> > bindings to easily export functionality through D-Bus.
> > gnome-power-manager source code was really useful for me to get started,
> > because it is also pure GObject and uses dbus-glib. The only
> > dependencies for obex-data-server will be glib, dbus/dbus-glib and bluez
> > with openobex. This is because one day obex-data-server should be used
> > on GNOME Mobile platform as well.
>
> Are you sure your mentor (Marcel) would agree to merge code based on
> dbus-glib?

I left the decision to use dbus-glib or not to Tadas in this case.

Using the GLib bindings when writing a server is an advantage since it
can make the code a lot simpler. Especially when the final code will not
be part of bluez-utils. The bluez-utils package abstracts a lot of ugly
stuff around the D-Bus low-level API.

Due to the dependency chain I would have preferred a version using the
D-Bus low-level only. No question about that. However in this case I put
the focus on the D-Bus API and the success of the project within the
timeframe instead.

> I just had to rewrite a bit of code removing the dbus-glib bits as
> Marcel wouldn't accept it.

I know, but that was needed. The bluez-utils can't easily depend on
dbus-glib and your code was client code, not server code.

Regards

Marcel