Gnome Scan : 2007/05/14

Hi all,

Last week, i spent some times on gnome-scan. I worked on two part of
Gnome Scan : SANE backend (gsane) and option handling. Very good news :
Gegl SVN has now public GeglBuffer API.

On gsane front, i implemented probe and device option setting. The probe
is very smooth. No more waiting dialog. Probe is done in a seperate
thread, and scanners are "plugged" as they are found. Also, each device
is opened in another thread in order to quicken the probe (once the
device is probed, we shows its entry asap).

Device option is now completely dynamic. GnomeScannerParamWidget is a
generic widget that's shows the right UI depending on GParamSpec type of
the param constructor attribute. It now support range (scale + spin),
enum (combobox), boolean (check button), string (entry), files and
output filename. Some options might imply to reload other option.
Currently, this is done by reloading all option widgets. Unfortunately
i'm fighting against a nasty bug in range widget (which is the most used
in scanners).

I'm working also with Philipp Sadleder on fixing a bug in Gnome Scan 0.4
(in fact, this is a structural bug already fixed in gnome-scan 0.5).

Pippin from Gegl (and more) did a nice job : his cleaned up the
GeglBuffer API in order to publish it. So gegl SVN now install
gegl-buffer.h :D. This will allow me to drop GdkPixbuf and use
GeglBuffer to store huge image in memory.

I have at least 4 exams in the following weeks, so i should not work on
gnome-scan ;). However, here are the following steps :

      * migrate to GeglBuffer (needs to package properly gegl-svn)
      * gsane acquisition
      * mass acquisition
      * processing
      * preview area