Introduction and report for 07/05/2007

Hi all,

 I haven't introduced myself to the list yet, so I thought I should get that out of the way before filing my first report. I'm a student at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, although currently I'm just finishing up a year spent in Germany.

 For my SoC I'm adding VoIP support to the Jokosher audio editor (http://www.jokosher.org), so that podcasters can easily record interviews or handle remote presenters directly from within Jokosher.

 My, infrequently updated, blog can be found at http://blog.mikeasoft.com and a hackergotchi can be found at http://static.xalior.info/lugradio/planet/Elleo.png

Report 07/05/2007

 So far I've mostly been looking at the supporting infrastructure I'll need to implement the best solution. I would like Jokosher's VoIP facilities to share as much as possible with other telepathy based VoIP applications. Originally I had intended to create python bindings for libmission-control, the library used to co-ordinate, amongst other things, sharing of account details (usernames, passwords, preferences, etc.). However I have since decided instead it would be better for me to create python bindings for libempathy and libempathy-gtk, these libraries make use of mission control but offer a higher level interface and many useful widgets which can be shared amongst GNOME applications. So instead of Jokosher just sharing account details, it can make use of the same consistant account management dialog as all other libempathy based applications as well.

 I've currently created python bindings for roughly 50% of libempathy-gtk (much more than I actually need at present), but I'd like to try and provide bindings for 100% of both libempathy and libempathy-gtk so that the bindings will be useful to other people working on other GNOME VoIP applications. I'm still having a little trouble getting my libempathy-gtk bindings to link correctly, but once that's solved I should be able to quickly integrate the account dialog in to Jokosher and shortly after that integrate the contacts in to Jokosher's "add instrument" dialog.

 I think that covers just about everything, hopefully by next week I'll have some slightly more interesting updates and a few screenshots posted on my blog.

 Cheers,
  Mike.