[PiTiVi] Progress Report July 31, 2007

I spent last week working on file load/save support. I started by going over a patch supplied by Richard Boulton which implemented file load/save support application logic (i.e. when to display file choosers/confirmation dialogs). Unfortunately the patch no longer cleanly applies to the current source tree.

I did what I could to manually apply the patch, then went over the ideas with Edward. He convinced me that we need to create a design document, and get some test cases implemented. So, I spent the rest of the week working on design documents on the wiki.

http://pitivi.org/wiki/Design_Docs

That page will give you a good idea of our current status. I've uploaded what design documents I've written, and Edward is starting to fill in the rest. I took a little time out to design an editing slider widget, (http://pitivi.org/wiki/Design_Docs_Simple_Timeline_Slider), but the majority of the time has been spent working on the File Load and Save document. http://pitivi.org/wiki/Design_Docs_File_Load_and_Save

Once i've finished with this, I will begin coding test cases which mirror the use cases, and then finally begin coding the core application code itself. With the application logic in place, I will turn my attention to the actual saving and parsing of the input file. Edward has some ideas on how to turn that into a pluggable back-end that could support a large number of input/output formats.