Metacity progress report, July 09, 2007

SoC progress report: July 09, 2007

This week I've created my metacity branch called 'multiple_pointer_x' [0].

Spent a lot of time adjusting my "local patches" to something
not-that-ugly and committed the first part, which creates the
infrastructure for compiling the branch (will have to be done with
--enable-mpx) and also enables the user to change the application's
client pointer.

I've also created a page for the project [1] and added a howto [2]
that teaches how to compile and install mpx and the metacity.

I also spent some time doing patches in MPX [3][4][5] that correct a
few variable types in .h files, so I won't need to do type casts all
the time.

Today I've also committed the second part (which needed this MPX patch
to work). It corrects the RadioButtons (that were not working) and
adds the option to enable/disable device access to specific windows.

One of the things I plan to commit this week will be (part of) the
metacity "real" interaction with multiple devices, and one of the
problems involving this is how should menus interact with multiple
devices. I wrote a little text and plan to post on my blog, so I can
read everyone's opinions about it.

Problems I ran into:
- I really thought cleaning my already-done code would take less time
=) 50% of the added lines contained XXXs...

Cheers,
Paulo.

[0] http://svn.gnome.org/svn/metacity/branches/multiple_pointer_x/
[1] http://live.gnome.org/Metacity/Mpx