Re: Yay! A new progress report on RANDR!

> Yes. The most important things here are nautilus and the panel, I guess.
> Do you plan to work on them?

Totem!

I do plan on adding features to a few gnome programs. This may be
post-SOC, as I plan to remain a gnome contributor afterwards. I was
under the impression nautilus and gnome-panel already responded to
changes in the screen.

When I mentioned detecting display changes, I meant for the purpose of
comparing the outputs to any user-defined profiles, and selecting the
correct layout automatically, if possible.

> I believe there's some work to make keybinding registration easy.
> Bastien should know. I don't think having a separate daemon makes sense.
> gnome-settings-daemon would be the best place for this (you guessed this
> right).

I knew this documentation would come in useful:
http://live.gnome.org/ControlCenter/ApplicationDefinedKeybindings

The actual handler would live in gnome-settings-daemon, I would think.
What were you thinking for the hotkeys, did you want people to be able
to press the "LCD/CRT" key on their laptops, or something else?

Thank you for the document, that will be a lot of help. The LCD/CRT
key would be one case. However, I plan to allow people to save any
number of profiles, eg: home, work, TV, etc. and to then allow people
to set key-combos to switch instantly to that profile.

No tray icon for this please: in this case, an applet is really what
makes sense.

I was going to make it disabled by default, and strictly optional.
Maybe a panel item would be better. It just seems like it would be
useful for some people to have the ability to quickly change
resolutions, and screen modes. Here is what I had in mind:

Right-click the panel icon, and you get a list of outputs. Each output
has a sub-menu, containing all of the resolutions available. There
will also be a "Clone other display" button. When it is clicked, the
mouse cursor becomes a box which is the size of the smallest
resolution that the output supports. This box can be moves over the
desired area, and the output will then clone that area. Scrolling the
mouse wheel changes the size of the box, cycling through all available
resolutions.

This bit will be the last part of the project. Obviously the capplet
has priority.

Cheers,

Pascal