Re: Yay! A new progress report on RANDR!

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 18:38 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
<snip>
> > When a monitor is added or removed, the computer should react
> > automatically. This means that some process will need to subscribe to
> > signals from xrandr.
>
> Yes. The most important things here are nautilus and the panel, I guess.
> Do you plan to work on them?

Totem!

> > Also, to allow hotkeys for profiles, something
> > will need to monitor those too. Is there a preferred/standard way to
> > do hot-keys in gnome, which doesn't involve having a daemon running at
> > all times? Or is it maybe worthwhile to run a daemon, for both of the
> > reasons above, and to act as the backend for both the tray icon and
> > the capplet? If so, should the daemon, capplet, and tray icon be
> > seperate programs communicating by dbus, or all part of the daemon?
>
> I believe there's some work to make keybinding registration easy.
> Bastien should know. I don't think having a separate daemon makes sense.
> gnome-settings-daemon would be the best place for this (you guessed this
> right).

I knew this documentation would come in useful:
http://live.gnome.org/ControlCenter/ApplicationDefinedKeybindings

The actual handler would live in gnome-settings-daemon, I would think.
What were you thinking for the hotkeys, did you want people to be able
to press the "LCD/CRT" key on their laptops, or something else?

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>