Re: [gnome-slackware]Gnome 2 Not Working Properly

>If you had to install GNOME again, just try GARNOME
>(http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome). It's simple and easy to use. :)
>
>Actually, it will download all files directly from GNOME FTP and install it.

Well, I downloaded them all and compiled them myself. Will Garnome let me
uninstall everything? I prefer to use checkinstall so i can monitor and
uninstall anything I install by using pkgtool (slackware dist).

>That's pretty weird. I have a Pentium II 350 with 256Mb and it appears pretty
>fast, but my wm is Metacity. There could be some problem with WindowMaker
>(maybe). Can you check if WindowMaker accept the new NET_WM specifications (as
>in http://www.freedesktop.org)?

Don't know.

>> I looked at ps before, during, and after: to begin with, ps showed no Gnome
>> stuff running, as it should. Then I invoked gnome-terminal. gnome-terminal
>> appears in ps as you would think it would, but the gnome-terminal hasn't
>> appeared on the screen. After a while, '/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2 9' and
>> '/usr/local/libexec/bonobo-activation-server --ac-activate --ior-output-fd=14'
>> appear in ps, then the gnome-terminal actually shows itself on the screen.
>
>This is normal. gconfd holds all configurations in a registry-like structure
>(but it uses files and directories to store them, not something like a big
>configurations file that can srew all your configurations if something wrong
>happens). And Bonobo is the object broker for the GNOME 2.0 (old releases use
>ORBit).

Is it normal for it to take ages for an app to start?

>There must be something wrong with your gconf preferences. Maybe you have a
>missing
>
>xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf
>
>in your $(PREFIX)/etc/gconf/2/path file.

Had a look and it's there. I even uninstalled Gconf, deleted all that stuff, and
installed it again. Same thing :-/

--

.