Re: [gnome-slackware]Gnome 2 Not Working Properly

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 11:51, The Unknown Stuntman wrote:
> I've just uninstalled Gnome 1.4 (which was compiled from source) and installed
> Gnome 2.0.1 (from source, following http://www.karubik.de/gig/2.0/index.html).
> I use Windowmaker and only want Gnome on my 'system' so I can use
> gnome-terminal and other Gnome apps such as Pan.

If you had to install GNOME again, just try GARNOME
(http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome). It's simple and easy to use. :)

Actually, it will download all files directly from GNOME FTP and install
it.

> I created a new user that just uses Gnome ('exec gnome-session' in ~/.xinitrc)
> and uses Windowmaker as its window manager. After starting X, Windowmaker is
> the first to load, then I'm waiting a matter of a minute or two for Gnome to
> appear. It's a 1.1GHz computer with plenty of memory and I can see the CPU
> sitting there being idle during this time.

That's pretty weird. I have a Pentium II 350 with 256Mb and it appears
pretty fast, but my wm is Metacity. There could be some problem with
WindowMaker (maybe). Can you check if WindowMaker accept the new NET_WM
specifications (as in http://www.freedesktop.org)?

> I looked at ps before, during, and after: to begin with, ps showed no Gnome
> stuff running, as it should. Then I invoked gnome-terminal. gnome-terminal
> appears in ps as you would think it would, but the gnome-terminal hasn't
> appeared on the screen. After a while, '/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2 9' and
> '/usr/local/libexec/bonobo-activation-server --ac-activate --ior-output-fd=14'
> appear in ps, then the gnome-terminal actually shows itself on the screen.

This is normal. gconfd holds all configurations in a registry-like
structure (but it uses files and directories to store them, not
something like a big configurations file that can srew all your
configurations if something wrong happens). And Bonobo is the object
broker for the GNOME 2.0 (old releases use ORBit).

> Problem two is: when it does finally appear, I can use the Gnome apps such as
> Nautilus, Pan, and gnome-terminal. However, whenever I change any settings in
> these apps, eg the desktop background (after 'gnome-session'), colours and
> transparency in gnome-terminal, etc, they do not stay after I close the app and
> run it again - restart X and the background picture has gone, the
> gnome-terminal settings are back to default. All the permissions on the Gnome
> stuff in the home directory are OK.

There must be something wrong with your gconf preferences. Maybe you
have a missing

xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf

in your $(PREFIX)/etc/gconf/2/path file.
Julio 'slow' Biason     -     ICQ: 10476303    -     slow cscience org