Re: [gnome-slackware]Gnome 2 Not Working Properly

>why the hell are you using gnome-session with windowmaker ? gnome-session
>launches the window manager. It tries to connect an ICCCCM compatible window
>manager which I think windowmaker isn't. Therefore you can notice the delay
>that corresponds to a timeout of this connection.

Well, I just put gnome-session in .xinitrc and Windowmaker came up
automatically. It must be system-wide default, but that is not the problem,
since I never use gnome-session. I only used it for demonstration purposes :)

Having said that, how can I change this 'timeout' delay? I read in a FAQ that
having a correct entry in /etc/hosts might have something to do with it, and I
have '127.0.0.1 localhost sulaco' in mine. I also don't see why I should have to
have any sort of networking configured, even if it is just localhost, in order
to run a Gnome app. Maybe that has nothing to do with my problems anyway :)

>> I log in as the normal user that I use, that just uses Windowmaker and no Gnome
>> things at all, and run gnome-terminal. It also takes a matter of a few minutes
>> to appear. Further gnome-terminals appear straight away, as long as there is
>> already a gnome-terminal loaded.
>
>Does this mean you launches windowmaker with or without gnome-session ?

Without. There are no Gnome stuff executed at all, until I run gnome-terminal,
or Pan, et al, manually.

>The point is you should launch windowmaker without caring gnome-session. apps
>will launch gconf and bonobo by themselves iirc.

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. No Gnome apps start at all until I
run one manually, eg gnome-terminal. They do seem to launch Gconf and this
Bonobo thing themselves, but only after a pause of a few minutes :-/ It is this
extremely long pause of seemingly idleness, and the settings that do not stick
after I change them, that are my problems.

--

.