Re: [gnome-slackware]Gnome 2 Not Working Properly

> I created a new user that just uses Gnome ('exec gnome-session' in ~/.xinitrc)
> and uses Windowmaker as its window manager. After starting X, Windowmaker is
> the first to load, then I'm waiting a matter of a minute or two for Gnome to
> appear. It's a 1.1GHz computer with plenty of memory and I can see the CPU
> sitting there being idle during this time.

why the hell are you using gnome-session with windowmaker ?
gnome-session launches the window manager. It tries to connect an ICCCCM
compatible window manager which I think windowmaker isn't.
Therefore you can notice the delay that corresponds to a timeout of this
connection.

> I log in as the normal user that I use, that just uses Windowmaker and no Gnome
> things at all, and run gnome-terminal. It also takes a matter of a few minutes
> to appear. Further gnome-terminals appear straight away, as long as there is
> already a gnome-terminal loaded.

Does this mean you launches windowmaker with or without gnome-session ?

> I looked at ps before, during, and after: to begin with, ps showed no Gnome
> stuff running, as it should. Then I invoked gnome-terminal. gnome-terminal
> appears in ps as you would think it would, but the gnome-terminal hasn't
> appeared on the screen. After a while, '/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2 9' and
> '/usr/local/libexec/bonobo-activation-server --ac-activate --ior-output-fd=14'
> appear in ps, then the gnome-terminal actually shows itself on the screen.
>
> That's problem one.

I never tried launching gnome-session out of a full gnome env.
I'll try to poke ppl here and there to get feedback.

> Problem two is: when it does finally appear, I can use the Gnome apps such as
> Nautilus, Pan, and gnome-terminal. However, whenever I change any settings in
> these apps, eg the desktop background (after 'gnome-session'), colours and
> transparency in gnome-terminal, etc, they do not stay after I close the app and
> run it again - restart X and the background picture has gone, the
> gnome-terminal settings are back to default. All the permissions on the Gnome
> stuff in the home directory are OK.

The point is you should launch windowmaker without caring gnome-session.
apps will launch gconf and bonobo by themselves iirc.