Re: GNOME Shell and system extensions being part of a mode

Apologies in advance if this gets mixed up. I'm trying to reply to a thread which was in progress before I joined the mailing list.

I'm struggling to fully follow the in and out on the web version of the thread (https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2017-October/msg00034.html), but if I am following along, it's an attempt to have some extensions locked in from a system perspective in order to support QA and security of the distro.

However, instead of forking "dash to dock" and "KStatusNotifier" into "ubuntu-dock" and "ubuntu-appindicator", would it make for a better end user experience to instead improve the existing extensions and update Gnome to support some kind of version "Lock" for the extension.

The interface could then advice the user that the extension forms part of the supported system, and any updates could potentially reduce the stability and security of the system. But ultimately this would allow me as end end user to choose to replace with an updated "dash to dock" if I so wish?