Re: GNOME Shell and system extensions being part of a mode

Thank you for the clarification on your proposal. The fundamental disagreement I have is with the idea that "you can consider extensions enabled as part of a mode as being really part of the Shell". I believe this to be confusing and frustrating to users already familiar with the extension ecosystem (even in how it has existed in the past, such as Gnome Classic mode). And to my knowledge, no other distro has shipped with only a single mode which contained enabled community extensions.

Perhaps my view is skewed - as an extension maintainer, most of the people I communicate with are unhappy with what they are currently getting out of their system and looking to change it, so making customization/extensions more restrictive is counter to that goal.

However, if Ubuntu wants to ship with only a single mode having extensions that can't be disabled nor upgraded, I suppose that's their perogative and your proposal makes sense in that context. Perhaps the improved messaging in tweak tool/e.g.o. that your are suggesting will reduce much of the confusion I have seen in the past.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017, at 02:45 AM, Didier Roche wrote:
> This is clearly what is already in place, and have the underlined
> limitations I expose. It doesn't solve either the stalled extensions
> issues.

The limitations are because the tools are unaware of your namespacing efforts. I was suggesting making them aware.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017, at 02:45 AM, Didier Roche wrote:
> I think your suggestion is even more restrive than my proposal.

My proposal was only to change the notification mechanisms so that unknowing users aren't prodded into upgrading by accident, rather than keeping extensions from being loaded even if a knowing user has desire to replace it.

I think I've adequately voiced my frustrations about modes and their interaction with extensions now so I will step out of further discussion about this. Thank you for your time!