Problem with top bar date

Hi. A quick question. For usability reasons, I use an older version of Thunderbird. Using menulibre, I was easily able to create a menu entry for Tbird. But when I try to set the default calendar under Options, Default Applications, Gnome doesn't display Tbird. I love clicking on the date on the top bar and seeing upcoming events. But nothing appears there, presumably because it's looking to the Evolution calendar, which is the default, but doesn't exist in my system. Yikes! How can I fix this? Thanks.