gsettings org.gnome.desktop.input-sources current alternative

While googling for a way to change gnome's keyboard layout from the command line, I came across the setting

org.gnome.desktop.input-sources current.

However, when I try to use it, it doesn't do anything.

For example, if I've set my languages as English (0) and Russian (1) the following should change my layout to Russian

gsettings org.gnome.desktop.input-sources current 1

but it doesn't do anything.

Looking through its description using dconf-editor, I see it says that the key is deprecated. Is there any alternative for the current key?