Re: Recompiling libgnome-shell.so

Le lundi 03 octobre 2016 à 16:04 +0100, Simon McVittie a écrit :
On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 15:15 +0200, Bob Andrew wrote:

I had been hoping glib-compile-resources could provide a shorter
way
than going through the whole compiling process. Now I wonder what
is
the interest of extracting resource files through gresource, except
maybe not having to download the whole source?
Not having to download the whole source is basically the only purpose
of the technique mentioned in those blog posts.

(It also ensures you get the JavaScript or other resources that
actually correspond to the version you have installed - which is
hopefully the one that your distribution recommends and has done its
own QA on - and not some earlier or later version. But if you've
downloaded the whole source, then you have everything you need for an
internally-consistent build anyway, whether it matches your
distribution's recommendation or not.)

I see. My original goal was to modify the appDisplay.js file to change
the number of columns of the application overview. I suppose that
rebuilding the whole gnome-shell package is a bit of an overshot for
that purpose, especially since it would need to be done after every
update. Is there any plan to include a middle way which would allow
users to implement these JavaScript changes without going through
recompiling/rebuilding? Maybe the idea is that this kind of tweaking
should be done exclusively through extensions?