Re: Why gnome-shell disables the extensions when the screen is idle?

The main reason wasn't actually security -- an extension can simply
have a dummy disable() function if it wants. The main reason was that
a lot of the extensions simply weren't designed for the lock screen in
mind. The initial set of extensions that were uploaded were things
like a new Apps Menu, or a Bottom Panel, or a custom status icon and
top bar button.

These extensions didn't handle the case when the screen was locked,
and exposing the top bar button during that time would have been a
major information leak. It also seems like an easy thing to miss as an
extension author, so I didn't want to risk it.

It might be possible to extend the extension metadata format to
support a new "handlesLockScreen" key and not turn it off when that
happens.