Why gnome-shell disables the extensions when the screen is idle?

Hi,
I'm writing an extension to monitor a background process. It changes the icon depending on whether the process is running or not. And it alerts me when the process ends with sounds, icon change and a notification.
The development has been almost too complicated by the lack of documentation and outdated documentation.
But the worst is that it was a futile effort because when the screen is idle, gnome-shell disables the extensions. Why?