Re: Help needed to get Applications Menu on FreeBSD 10.2 amd64

On 07/03/16 23:26, Florian Müllner wrote:
On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 7:18 PM Manish Jain <bourne identity hotmail com
<mailto:bourne identity hotmail com>> wrote:

    But the Applications Menu extension of GTT seems to having
    problems - it just says Error (upon loading the extension).

It would probably help if you told us what the actual error is. The
"Extensions" tab in the looking glass console (<alt>f2 lg) should
provide a hint, and there may be some helpful console output as well.

Without that information, a blind guess is that you may be missing the
gnome-menus typelib (GMenu-3.0.typelib).

Sir,

I cannot tell you how grateful I am for replying and for the blind shot
of missing gnome-menus. I did a 'pkg install gnome-menus', rebooted the
system - and bingo, I have the Applications Menu right there. I would
have thought the gnome3 meta-package would have installed gnome-menus
too, but it is a lesson.

Thank you very much for helping me. But I do wonder why does gnome not
default to using the Applications Menu - it makes life so much easier. I
also seriously dislike Hotspot, and I have to forcefully turn it off
every time I install gnome. I do wish gnome developers will give up on
bad defaults for user interface. My personal thinking as far as UI is
concerned is - stay close to Windows 2000/XP. The one good thing
Microsoft ever did was to present a fantastic UI in 2000/XP, and there
is no harm sticking to the principles therein.

Thanks again & Regards
Manish Jain