Problems with the Disable Screen Shield Extension on GNOME 3.18/Fedora 23

A few months ago, the patch from Matthijs (see below) worked great for me on GNOME 3.16/Fedora 3.22. However, a few months after that, and also recently when I upgraded to Fedora 23/GNOME 3.18, the Disable Screen Shield extension stops working in some cases.

I have org.gnome.desktop.session set to 3600. If there have been just a few hours of inactivity, the extension works as expected (moving the mouse restores the desktop from monitor-sleep mode, and I don't get the curtain). But when I leave my computer overnight and return the next morning, moving the mouse (or hitting a non-operative key like Shift) doesn't get rid of the curtain. I have to hit the Escape key to get rid of the curtain, which is not desirable.

I also tried the new version of the Disable Screen Shield extension that lgpasquale recently updated, but that doesn't seem to work at all for me -- even after just an hour of inactivity, moving the mouse doesn't get rid of the curtain.

Any suggestions for a better fix or even how to troubleshoot this in more detail would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

    -Kartik