Allow an application to "steal" the focus

Hi all:

I'm creating a guake-like terminal using vala and Gtk3: a drop-down
terminal that is shown in all workspaces when you press an specific key.
Everything goes fine except for a little detail: I'm unable to ensure
that the terminal window gets the keyboard focus.

When I press the key for the first time the window appears and it gets
the focus; but if I hide it, change to another window, and press the key
again, the terminal window is shown, but it doesn't get the focus.

I tried everything: grab_focus() method, show-hide-show, present()
method, setting the window type hint... but none work.

Installing the "Steal my focus" extension
(https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/234/steal-my-focus/) seems to
work, but there should be a way to allow to do that without modifying
gnome shell.

Does somebody know the answer to this problem?

Thanks.

--
Nos leemos
                         RASTER    (Linux user #228804)