Re: Removable media in control-center (gsettings)

On 10/27/2015 08:43 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
If operating system (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in this case) saves user's
associations at ~/.config/mimeapps.list and xdg-mime works with this
(reads & writes there), then it's not a problem. It can be an OS
distribution feature.

It's not xdg-mime that must follow GLib/Gnome behaviour: it should be
Gnome that works consistently following same rules as xdg-mime.

My problem in this list thread is that I check associations with
xdg-mime (Nautilus is consistent to xdg-mime when opens files), but
gnome-control-center doesn't work completely with Freedesktop rules but
the real problem for me: doesn't have documented its own rules.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. gnome-control-center has a bug (not a
feature); it shows the wrong association, even if setting an association
works fine. For you, writing to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mimeapps.list, which on
most systems means ~/.config/mimeapps.list, is the right thing to do.

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list should not be used, but using
it still works. ~/.config/mimeapps.list takes precedence though
(according to the standard and in xdg-mime). When looking for existing
associations, gnome-control-center apparently gives precedence to
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list instead, which is wrong.

It would be nice if you reported this erroneous behavior [1]. The bug
seems to be in GLib which gnome-control-center uses. You can also refer
to this mailing list conversation in the bug report. If you are
uncomfortable reporting the wrong behavior then I will do so.

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/