Re: no DPMS on HDMI output while screen lock

Am 19.10.2015 10:56 nachm. schrieb Martin Cigorraga <martincigorraga gmail com>:

> Hi Thomas

Hi Martin,

> I think it might be associated with the way the lock screen is intended to work: if you _lock_ your session none information should be disclosed - and that includes audio and video output too.
> What about using the extension 'Turn screen off'? What it really does is to invoke the 'xset' command, like: $ xset -display :0 dpms force off - but it's really handy to have it on the system menu too and of course let people appreciate the greatness of GNOME 3 :)

Okay, i see. Thanks for the hint!

I tried to find the relevant source code which is responsible for the screen locking, but I just skipped over the code. My bet would be screenShiels.js and some calls to a thing called loginManager? But what component exactly is initiating the dpms command? I didn't found it in the gnome-shell source code :-(

BTW do you know if xset will still work in Fedora 23 when gnome shell will switch to Wayland exclusively?
I'm not sure if a replacement exists for this command line tool! Or will xset continue to work?

> Please note that while using this extension (I love it) you can quickly turn your display off the system timer that keeps track to decide when a session should be 'locked' keeps running at its own pace, so at any given moment you will find that any audio reproduced while your screen is off will stop; you can customize that time it will take to automatically lock the screen from the Power menu in Settings.

Yes, I already found this setting beforehand.

> Another way to workaround this 'not desired behavior' (I will refrain myself from calling it a bug) is to try a console music player like the great and almighty MOC[0] (Music on console, duh!).

Sadly I'm talking about a stream on mix cloud. Maybe it's somehow possible to extract the underlying audio track in the website... But I guess I would need an hour to do so, but in that time I would already have been listening the complete audio track, so...

With kind regards
Thomas