RE: gnome-3.16.x without systemd

From: dantrell mirthil org [mailto:dantrell mirthil org]
Sent: Wednesday, 24 June, 2015 17:40
To: john frankish outlook com
Subject: Re: gnome-3.16.x without systemd

I came across your post by chance. To answer your question, it is indeed possible for GNOME 3.16 to
work without systemd.
I have actually been maintaining a patchset that reintegrates support for Session Tracking and Power
Management.
A recent version of the most directly related files can be found here:
https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-2485
I have a newer version but I'm not quite ready to share it.
If you let me know what operating system you use, I may to be able to help you expedite matters.
In fact, if you use Gentoo or Funtoo Linux you can be using GNOME 3.16 without systemd as fast as you
can compile it.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I'm using the 64-bit version of tinycorelinux on which I have gnome-3.10.x working without problems.

I've compiled everything for gnome-3.16.x, but cannot post the various extensions (packages)
to the tinycorelinux repo as gnome-session will not run.
As posted, gnome-shell fails to register with gnome-session, but without any error messages to go on, I'm
unable to fix things.
I had a quick look at the site you mention, but I don't see any patches that stand out as being likely to
fix my problem?

I am not actually familiar with tinycorenetwork but what I do know is that GNOME 3.16 should actually work
as-is
(although with reduced features), if you don't use GDM (as in 3.16 ConsoleKit support was removed)
and if you force clutter to use the X11 backend (as the other backends require systemd, as far as I can
tell).

My patchset is further down on that page under the attachment section.
Here's a direct link: http://files.mirthil.org/dantrell-portage-overlays.tar.xz (mind, this will only stay
live for a while longer).
You will mostly be interested in any package that applies a *restore-deprecated-code.patch file
but you will also want to look at what configure options are being passed regarding consolekit and systemd,
especially if you intend to use GDM. Only a few packages not in that attachment are not very relevant to
your purposes.

You wouldn't by chance be using ConsoleKit2 (any version greater than 0.4.6)?
Because when I tested GNOME 3.16 against that, I believe things went similarly haywire.
Also, if you manage to things working but find that native applications don't launch/work,
double check that clutter is using an appropriate backend as I mentioned earlier.

Thanks - to answer some of your questions:

1. I don't know what backend clutter is using, but I don't get any clutter errors and using
CLUTTER_BACKEND=x11 doesn't change anything.

2. I'm not using gdm.

3. I've tried with both consolekit-0.4.6 and consolekit2 and neither give any error messages.

I already reverted the consolekit changes to gnome-shell-3.16 and applied your revert patch to
gnome-settings-daemon, but unfortunately this did not help.

In general I compiled the various packages against upower-0.99.2 except where they would not
(telepathy-mission-control) and against consolekit. I don't see any particular configure switches in your
tarball that I've missed. I have not compiled gnome-bluetooth-3.16 as the version of udev in tinycorelinux is
too old for this, but other than that everything I know of is present.

I'm starting gnome-session with a wrapper script:

ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session2 --autostart=/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart
--debug

..which gives the attached output - as you can see there's nothing to indicate why gnome-shell fails to
register and I'm unable to get any debug output from gnome-shell.

It's possible I might be missing a runtime dep as opposed to having a consolekit problem, but without error
messages it's impossible to tell.

John