window losing focus but no notification being displayed

Hi

when connecting to VPN, gnome-shell is stealing the window focus.  There
are no notifications appearing to steal the focus which is really weird.
What window, applet, etc gained the focus?

Here's how to replicate.  Click to connect to a VPN via the network
manager icon on the top right of the display.  This takes several seconds
(this may depend on the network, I have on that is instant, but others take
much longer).  In the mean time start working/typing on any window.  Once
the connection is finished, something grabs the focus and all the typing is
going nowhere.  Note that there was no notification displayed.  Where is the
focus?

I thought maybe there was some hidden notification so I have set
"disable-vpn-notifications" and "disable-connected-notifications" on
org.gnome.nm-applet to true.  Still, I keep losing the focus.

Anyone can help? Is this a bug or is this by design?

Thank you,
Carnë