Re: Accessing MetaWindow.get_xwindow from js

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 6:40 AM, Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs stdin nl> wrote:
Hi Amy,

> Yes, when it has `introspectable="0"` then you can't call it using GIR
> bindings from JS.
So it is present in the XML file just to indicate that GIR has found the
function but wasn't able to generate bindings for it? Or do
non-introspectable functions serve a real purpose as well?

> What do you want the xwindow for? Back when I wrote the Maximus extension
> (quite out of date now) I needed to get the X ID of the window so I could
> undecorate it and neither the X ID or the undecoration were exposed in the
> Mutter bindings, so I ended up forking out to xwininfo/xprop to do the job
> [1]. Depending on what you need the xwindow for, perhaps xwininfo/xprop
> could work for you.
I was looking at pixel-saver, which does pretty much the same as
Maximus. It now uses the xwininfo / xprop trick, but when I noticed
get_xwindow, I wondered if that would lead to simpler code. Apparently
not :-)

I'm not comfortable exposing the XID to introspection from inside mutter (it would technically be possible), so the xwininfo / xprop trick is going to be the best you'll get. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Matthijs