Re: add some eye candy effects for current window manager

On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 14:55 +0800, zhh zhou wrote:
Hello, I want to write a gnome-shell extension to add some eye candy
effects while minimizing, maximizing and closing a window for current
window manager. So I have to disconnect the default signal handler,
such as minimize signal handler. However, the wm object only has
disconnect function which needs a signal handler ID as parameter and
the ID is not saved in windowManager.js. So if I want to disconnect
it, I have to modify the windowManager.js like this:

   this._minHandlerID = this._shellwm.connect('minimize',
Lang.bind(this, this._minimizeWindow));

But in gnome 3.12, the whole shell is a binary file. Thus, I need to
recompile and reinstall the shell before the modifications taking
effect. This is really complex.

Can anyone have a idea that does not need to modify windowManager.js ?
Thanks very much~

I just posted on this list about wanting better animation options for
Gnome-Shell and then you come along wanting to write something. I will
be first in line installing the results of your efforts! I really like
the animations in Cinnamon and even better ElementaryOS. If effects like
that could be reproduced it would be great!

Sorry, I am not a developer so I can't contribute with code.