Re: Setting to allow volume above 100%

On Aug 17, 2014 11:58 PM, "Michael Catanzaro" <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 14:04 -0500, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ubuntu's Unity now allow having the volume slider on the desktop go all
> > the way up to above 100% without having to go into the sound settings.
> > It would really like to see an option like that in Gnome-Shell as well.
> > Since 100% is only 2/3 up what is possibly to set I often have to go
> > into sound setting to get it loud enough my laptops and a couple of
> > desktop systems as well.
>
> This is a UI failure. It doesn't make sense to set sound over 100%. It
> sounds like GNOME Shell is wrong to cap the sound level lower than it
> can actually go, but Settings is also wrong for presenting the max sound
> level as less than 100%.
>
> I neither know nor care about whatever technical reason exists for 100%
> not being the end of that slider in sound settings. It just doesn't make
> sense.
>
> Michael

Before Gnome Shell, with the old Gnome, the sound went to 100% visually but in reality it went higher. When I installed Gnome Shell the sound at 100% was much lower than it was before and the only way to make it higher was to go to the sound settings and put it above 100%.

I think this was done for sound quality, but unless I jack it up all the way up to max the sound is fine.

Maybe you could add the same look as in the sound settings, have a 100% line but if you want to go above you can.