Re: Setting to allow volume above 100%

--
//Christian

Dropbox. Your files from anywhere: http://db.tt/U8MqkVR

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 16:41 -0500, Christian Dysthe wrote:
 On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
 <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
 > On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 14:07 -0500, Christian Dysthe wrote:
>> Ubuntu's Unity now allow having the volume slider on the desktop go
 >> all the way up to above
>> 100% without having to go into the sound settings. It would really
 >> like to see an option like
 >>  that in Gnome-Shell as well. Since 100% is only 2/3 up what is
 >> possibly to set I often have
 >>  to go into sound setting to get it loud enough my laptops and a
 >> couple of desktop systems as
 >>  well.
> I can increase the volume above 100% in Sound Settings, but the drop
 > down slider is limited to 100%.  I believe this is due what
 > what-is-more-than-max can be a channel dependent issue - in Sound
 > Settings you are adjusting the volume of the selected channel.
 That is why an option to either let you use the desktop slider to go
 above 100% or not is a good idea.

To what?  10,000% 100,000% ?   If you want to do something like this
going to settings seems reasonable to me.

To as far as the slider currently goes in the sound settings in Unity and GNOME. Why should there be one scale on the desktop and with media keys and another in the sound settings?

> I use this regularly to be able to hear podcasts over the sound of the
 > dish washer.
I have kids and need to outloud them, but need the sounds prefs to do
 so in Gnome! :)

You can do this in GNOME - via Sound Settings.

So you think that if you want full volume you should first slide the desktop slider up to 100% and then have to open sound settings and move it up from there? Right now every time I watch a movie I have to open sound settings instead of using the slider or the keys on my laptop. GNOME and Unity is the only to DEs who has it designed like that.