Re: ego website

Emmanuele,

There are some problems

1. I wrote an extension and I am so excited that people are going to use it :)
    But it takes so long to get published :(

2. I updated my extensions and I added some cool new things :)
    But it takes so long to get updated :(

3. Till my extension got reviewed, I have already updated it :/

What if 500 extensions with monthly updates?
I suppose that main gnome developers lose precious time by reviewing extensions
while ext. authors might (just might) lose motivation.

Anyway, I will not propose solutions here. I guess you know better what has to (& can) be done.

- alex

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
hi;

On 22 April 2014 14:40, alex diavatis <alexis diavatis gmail com> wrote:
> The question here is why GNOME Devs should explicitly review the extensions?

because extensions run in the same process space as the window
manager, which is a privileged piece of software.

> Add a notice that we aren't responsible for the quality of extensions

this is not a matter of quality: it's a matter of shipping an
extension from a gnome.org website that can do whatever it wants with
the input and output of your system.

> and let users review them.

this is even worse than not having anybody reviewing them.

> If possible have just some automated tests.

it's not possible, unless you can write tools that manage to
understand the intent of the code.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.